Hymns!!!

Once again I love my church! Tonight we got to sing Hymns! I LOVE hymns. They have such great theology and thoughts and everything. I mean look...

"He breaks the power of canceled sin,
he sets the prisoner free;
his blood can make the foulest clean;
his blood availed for me."
or
"’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed."
I mean don't get me wrong, I love contemporary worship, but it just doesn't always have the same depth that hymns do. I also love my pastor even more. She talked about how important hymns are, or at least should be within the UMC. They are our professions of faith, both as Christians in general and specifically as United Methodists. They are the things that remember, that stay with us throughout the week. I mean really, how much of today's sermon do you remember versus how many of today's songs to you remember?

Then we sang those same hymns but a more contemporary version of them. And she talked about the importance of changing some things to reach a new generation. She talked about how God is big enough to meet us where we are at, whether it be worshiping through hymns or worshiping through contemporary songs. I'm glad that God is bigger than my attempts to worship Him through whatever means I have!

No comments: