Rules for Living

This week in church we talked about our basic rules for living, so here are mine, with a few comments on them.

  • treat others as you want to be treated
    I think just about everyone in the room had some version of this on their list. I also think a lot of things can be boiled down to this. Things like, be polite and offer forgiveness. I want people to be nice to me and I want others to forgive me, so I should do this for others.
  • make a difference in the world
    I'm not here to just live for myself, I can and should make a difference in the lives of others. It doesn't have to be anything big, just showing kindness to the waitress or hugging a kid.
  • take your time
    I don't want to just run through life always looking ahead. I want to stop and smell the roses. I want to enjoy the moment.
  • live thankfully
    I want to be thankful to those around me and to be thankful to God.
  • be a learner
    I never want to stop learning. I want to get whatever I can out of every situation and from everyone I meet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your list!! I would hope that some of those rules you got from example from your Dad and I. It's easy to forget where we are sometimes, but if we can remember who we are and what we want to be, we can have a good life. I think the only one I might add is:
"Be Happy!" Be in love with life and enjoy.
What great thoughts from a great daughter!