"You ARE the Salt of the Earth"

"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot." Matthew 5v13 (TNIV)

"Now Jesus calls them the salt of the earth -- salt, the most indispensable necessity of life. The disciples, that is to say, are the highest good, the supreme value which the earth possesses, for without them it cannot live." ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Cost of Discipleship)

We are an indispensable necessity of life. Those around us need us. How do we choose to live that way? What are we doing that is indispensable? Would the world notice if all the Christians were suddenly gone? I would hope so! I think about Mother Teresa who did so much good for so many people. They noticed when she was gone. I think of Martin Luther King Jr. People noticed when he was gone. I think about Billy Graham. I believe people will notice when he is gone. I think about my own church. We are helping people in Liberia, they would notice if we were gone. I think about all the kids I have loved, I hope they would notice if I was gone. Lord, help me to live so that I am a necessity to those around me.

"It is not for the disciples to decide whether they will be the salt of the earth, for they are so whether they like it or now, they have been made salt by the call they have received." ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Cost of Discipleship)

This is an interesting thought too. We don't have a choice in the matter. Once we have been called and responded to that call we ARE salt. I suppose this makes sense. When we are Christians, others are watching and we are affecting them in some way. I mean how many times do we hear people talk about how Christians are just a bunch of hypocrites? The key seems to be following Christ in being salt in a good way.

No comments: