Interesting Thoughts from SS

Sunday! Yea! I teach Sunday School to a bunch of 4th and 5th graders at the morning service and they are lots of fun! It is interesting because in the past the kids I have worked with haven't spent a lot of time in the church, but most of these kids have grown up in church. They are very with it. Like I we will usually read the passage from the Bible and I will ask them what it is about and they can pretty much always tell me the main point and some of the other stuff to. Then while we were making stuff today somehow we ended up on the topic of Iraq and were talking about how only some of the people there are bad, but not everyone. And then one of the girls also mentioned that Saddam Hussein was bad, but could still go to heaven. Wow! They just amaze me. Not to say that they aren't normal kids too. They get soo distracted and can be so funny to! We had stickers today and they were putting them on everything! Oh, and a couple of weeks ago we all had fun foam stickers and we all wore one on our foreheads when we went into church for communion. Lots of funny looks, but it was amusing!

Then tonight in church the sermon was about dreams and being a blessing to others. I was thinking about how lately I have spent a lot of time thinking about myself. I do think some of that is justified; I have had a lot to deal with job and money wise. But at the same time I do get lazy some. It is also weird because sometimes I don't feel like I'm really using my passions. I mean I haven't really used my Spanish at all. And my church isn't exactly low income at all. But at the same time, I love my church and can't imagine going anywhere else. Maybe I'm supposed to be sharing my passion, but I don't know how. Hmm....

And now a couple of quotes... "Oh Adam's sons, how cleverly you defend yourselves against all that might do you good!" From The Magician's Nephew by CS Lewis. Good thought and oh so true.

"Tirian had never dreamed that one of the results of an Ape's setting up a false Aslan would be to stop people from believing in the real one." From The Last Battle by CS Lewis. This one made me stop and think about how we may not be trying to totally replace the gospel and set up a false Christ, but how often do we add to the gospel and in doing that replace Christ. We say that to be Christian you have to think a certain way, to act a certain way, to dress a certain way, to watch and listen to the "right" things. While I'm sure some of this may be fine, but some of it is just our own culture or perception of how things should be. I wonder how many people have been kept away from Christ because of the things we set up in His place.

No comments: