Bible knowledge

It is interesting, I've never considered myself to be any kind of "expert" on the Bible, but it seems people at church think I am. I know so many people who call pull verses out of the air and quote them exactly and know exactly where to find them in the Bible. I am NOT one of them! I know people who grew up in church and have heard these stories all of their life. I'm NOT one of them! When I first started going to church, I thought I'd never catch up with everyone around me.

But apparently somewhere along the way, I have. Everyone in my Sunday School class seems to think I have anyway. I suppose I do know quite a bit, but I still don't really feel like I do. One thing that helped me was my Intro to the Bible class in college. One big thing that it gave me was an overview and a sense of "feel" for the different books and authors. This helps me because I can be looking for something and guess where it might be based on the "feel." I think the other thing I have learned is where and how to find things when I don't know where they are. The concordance is my best friend!

I'm not sure what this says about me, but I think it does say something about the church. We need to do a better job of teaching basic Bible knowledge. Things like Disciple Bible Study are important for the overview they give. Sure, we can pick up bits and pieces of stories and verses through sermons and other Bible studies, but I think it is VERY important to also have an overview. An overview has given me an idea of how everything fits together. It helps me to see how God has worked throughout time to bring salvation to all. The big picture really is important!

No comments: