"Love Must be Sincere"

I was reading last night in Romans and got to Romans 12v9. The first sentence is "Love must be sincere"(TNIV). The Message says, "Love from the center of who you are; don't fake it." It got me thinking and this is what I wrote last night.

What does it mean to be sincere? Is it a good feeling? Is it acting loving? How do you love someone sincerely that you don't really like? Can you act lovingly and the sincerity will come later? Do you stop pretending to love someone even if it will hurt their feelings? Pretending to love someone isn't sincere? I should pray that God will help me to love sincerely, but it won't come immediately and I won't be perfect at it. What do I do in the mean time?

I started thinking again today and thought about a part in "The Hiding Place." It is the story of Corrie Ten Boom and how God used her in the midst of World War II. And the end of the book Corrie is speaking to a group of people and sees one of her former prison guards. He doesn't recognize her, but later comes up to her and says "How grateful I am for your message, Fraulein. To think that, as you say, He has washed my sins away!" He stuck out his hand to shake Corrie's hand. Corrie struggled with it for awhile. Eventually she stuck out her hand. She said, "As I took his hand the most incredible thing happened. From my shoulder along my arm and through my hand a current seemed to pass from me to him, while into my heart sprang a love for this stranger that almost overwhelmed me."

No comments: