Grey's Anatomy and Joseph

I do love it when things connect in my life. I was watching "Grey's Anatomy" tonight. One of my favorite parts was when all of the interns are sitting there and one of them asks if anyone else feels like they have no idea what they are doing and they all raise their hand. I love that part because so often I feel that way too! I feel like I'm just floating along.

This is also interesting because we talked a little more about Joseph tonight in church. One thing that struck me was that my pastor was talking about how Joseph always knew that he was a leader, but at the same time, he spent ten years in prison. There had to be some point during that time where he wanted to give up, where he was saying to God, "I thought this calling was from you, but I must have been mistaken. This is not how it was supposed to happen." In some ways, I feel a little like Joseph must have felt. I love kids, and always have and I love being able to take care of them and telling them about Jesus, but right now I don't feel like I'm able to do this on a regular basis.

Back to "Grey's Anatomy," one of the girls spent the whole show just suturing people, very basic stuff for a surgery intern. She had this one older lady who only spoke Chinese, no English at all. The lady finally let her stitch her up and then got her to follow her outside. The lady led her to a young girl who also had a big gash on her forehead. The doctor tried to get her to go inside, but the girl wouldn't go because she didn't have a greed card. So the doctor took the stuff she needed stitch her up outside and fixed her there. Even though the older lady couldn't speak English, you could just tell how grateful she was for the help. So even though the doctor spent her whole shift doing something that seemed insignificant, in the end, she was really able to make a difference in someone's life because she was faithful to the task she was given.

This reminds me of the question I wrote down from church this evening. "Am I willing to will and to work for God's good pleasure where I am?" Even though I'm not exactly where I want to be (not that I know where that is), it is still my job to follow God here. It is my job to love God and to love others right here and now. It is my job to learn everything I can from what I am doing now. It may not be exactly what I want, or even what God wants for me in the future, but it is where He has me now and the things I learn now will help me to do a better job later. And not just that, there are people here and now who I can make a difference for, even if this isn't my calling.

No comments: